Visit the calendar master page for the daily blog entries
I've been waking up early so that I can listen to the 06:00 SSB weather broadcast and then have about another hour before sunrise. I took a picture out the hatch this morning but didn't want to brave the cold outside to get a better picture. I sorted out the blog on this website in the early hours and then went to the task of determining the issues with the engine. First I had to remove everything from a kitchen cabinet and then remove the shelving so that I could access the side hatch to the engine. I then had remove the bolts to the ECU box (without dropping them and losing them in the inaccessible depths of the bilge) and when I attached the device to my computer I saw the error code in the picture below. This might be my problem, although intermittent didn't tell me when it happened last. So I reset the code and then used the program to measure pressures and temperatures in the manifold at idle and then at speed. Unfortunately, the pressure shown while at high revolutions with the turbocharger running showed the same pressure value. After the test run the same error code was displayed so the problem is most likely a faulty sensor. I called the local VW shop and while they didn't have it in stock they could order it with next day delivery so I did that. I then traced the wiring between the sensor and the ECU and measured resistances and checked for shorts and luckily the wiring was OK, so I'm optimistic about the replacement sensor solving my issues.
I did a bit more shopping and still haven't found a simple kettle to boil water on the stove. I did get some wood so that I can affix the LED lighting to the bimini frame and a cutting board for the navigation station so I don't wear out the pleather cover of the table while updating this blog.