Visit the calendar master page for the daily blog entries
Today things started coming together. Sparcraft had finally shipped the last missing part of the new rig and the boom vang arrived just in time for the test sail. The installation would take too long so we sailed without it, but it was installed afterward. At 10:30 we departed the dock with the rigger, the sail maker, Mark and myself and proceeded to do the rig tuning in relatively benign (but cold) conditions. All went well but Mark was driving the boat and when he revved the engine beyond 2000RPM there was a strange rhythmic surge and I went below to check. The lever on the Racor filter was at an angle so I corrected that and it sounded like the turbo wasn't running. I asked Mark to idle the engine and then give power and when he did that I heard the turbo spool up and thought that all was well. I went topsides and a bit later the engine stopped running and wouldn't start. While the three of them were discussing if we could make it up the narrow fairway under sail with the current wind direction I went below to see what might be wrong. Considering the only things I'd changed was the handle position on the Racor I moved it to select just one of the filters, rather than the position it was in which should have used "both". Once I did that the engine started up again, it seems that I need to add a label for "Both" and "None" as the handle positions are not clear.
While the crew did final work on the boom vang and other parts I went provisioning at Safeway for the trip across.