Visit the calendar master page for the daily blog entries
Strong winds and stratus cloud cover kept me from venturing too far today. I decided to put the finishing touches on my power logging code which reads the digital output from my Xantrex LinkPro battery monitor and then spent 6 hours working on getting the simple 2400 Baud signal read. In the end I discovered that the output interface from the Xantrex was broken and just outputting random signals; this explains why the old program, which I hadn't changed, had also stopped working. While I'm reasonably happy with the Xantrex monitor's performance, I think I'll look around the market to see if there is a newer and more advanced battery monitoring system out there when it is time to replace the Xantrex.
The solar panels on the dodger and bimini have bad electrical connections. I have the newer connectors here but unfortunately the special crimping tool which I'd ordered and had Shaun bring to the boat had been confiscated by airport security (it was in his carry-on and the crimper was classified as a “tool” which would not be allowed in the cabin). So instead of correcting the issue I played around with my multimeter and ammeter to see if judicious application of force could force electrical connections to work. By the time the sun was low on the horizon I had 5 out of 6 panels up and running again.
I fired up the BBQ for some potatoes and Chorizo sausage and then watched 2 episodes of “Person of Interest” on the computer before going topsides to just stare at the pretty lights before retiring for the night.