Mr. Richardson and one of his riggers did a lot of work topsides today. They came early, armed with heavy halyards, and proceeded to tension up the rigging with the new lines so that the mast would be supported when the D3 stays were removed and so that everything else would be slack enough to allow them to work. The old rusty D3 was removed and they returned to their shop to make up new lines. All the while I was working below decks with the A/C running and cleaning up. I decided to do the main engine impeller replacement at the docks rather than somewhere at anchor and proceeded to follow the instructions in the manual.
The VW engine water pump needs to be removed in order to replace the impeller. An engine belt needs to be removed, the intake and output hoses need to be removed, as well as 3 bolts holding the pump in place. The first step in the manual states that the retaining clips on the hoses need to be clicked out of place and the hoses removed. The retaining clips were easy to remove but I could not get either of hoses removed. I ended up removing the upper hose attachment at the opposite end (which had just a pressure mounting) and twisting/turning/pulling/pushing the water pump end until it popped off. That took about 40 minutes but after that I was completely stuck - I couldn't get the bottom hose removed and was afraid of using too much force and damaging the heavy tubing. I thought I could replace the impeller while the pump was still in place but that was quite difficult as I couldn't get the right angle to insert the new impeller. So in the end I spent 3 hours in contorted positions getting that recalcitrant hose off. Once the hose finally decided to pop off it only took me 10 minutes to clean up things and re-insert the new impeller and another 10 minutes to put everything back together. The test-run of the engine showed no leaks so that task was done.
By this time Richardson's had returned with the new D3s and installed them. They then re-tensioned the rigging all around and completed their task just as the sun was setting.


Rusty old D3 One of the D3 stays removed by Richardson's. The barberpoling indicates rusted or broken internal wires.
(2017-02-13 10:55:42 NIKON D7100 with a "35.0 mm f/1.8" lens. [f/4.0, 1/60s] ISO 100)
Rusty old D3
New D3 The new D3 manufactured by Richardson's
(2017-02-13 15:41:07 NIKON D7100 with a "18.0-250.0 mm f/3.5-6.3" lens. [f/5.6, 1/100s] ISO 100)
New D3
Mr. Richardson aloft The mast has been tensioned with extra lines and the spreaders are loose
(2017-02-13 15:32:22 NIKON D7100 with a "18.0-250.0 mm f/3.5-6.3" lens. [f/5.6, 1/800s] ISO 100)
Mr. Richardson aloft
One of the riggers aboard Zanshin and taking a break from work One of the riggers aboard Zanshin and taking a break from work
(2017-02-13 15:33:32 NIKON D7100 with a "18.0-250.0 mm f/3.5-6.3" lens. [f/5.6, 1/80s] ISO 100)
One of the riggers aboard Zanshin and taking a break from work
Impeller back plate The back plate was easy to remove, but I still hadn't taken the pump out because the hoses are stuck
(2017-02-13 14:03:21 NIKON D7100 with a "35.0 mm f/1.8" lens. [f/5.6, 1/60s] ISO 100)
Impeller back plate
Look inside the pump It is very difficult to get the big impeller inserted from this position, I will have to completely remove the pump
(2017-02-13 14:03:33 NIKON D7100 with a "35.0 mm f/1.8" lens. [f/5.6, 1/60s] ISO 100)
Look inside the pump
Water pump removed After 3 hours of work I finally got the pump assembly out and have replaced the old impeller with this new one.
(2017-02-13 14:53:07 NIKON D7100 with a "35.0 mm f/1.8" lens. [f/5.6, 1/60s] ISO 100)
Water pump removed
Mr. Richardson tightening the backstay The backstays need tensioning after the new lines have been installed.
(2017-02-13 15:40:58 NIKON D7100 with a "18.0-250.0 mm f/3.5-6.3" lens. [f/5.6, 1/250s] ISO 100)
Mr. Richardson tightening the backstay
Blog images. Click on the picture to expand it to full size.
152 views since 2017-02-17, page last modified on 2017-02-17.