After a good night's rest I headed ashore early and walked to “:The Woodstock” in order to ask them to cut the radio/instrument panel according to the markings that I'd put on and also scrape away some wood glue remains on a piece attached to the panel. They agreed to do the work (for an hour's labour) and asked that I return in the afternoon to pick up the results. I walked around the docks for a bit before heading back to the boat and then returning ashore with my notebook in the backpack in order to catch up on the internet using the free WiFi services offered by The Mad Mongoose.
Somehow the day went by and at 15:00 I returned to find that they'd done a very professional job on the panel and I returned to Zanshin in order to complete at least this one job. With some trepidation I inserted the various components and (somewhat to my surprise), they all fit perfectly! I had to remove the wiring for the Xantrex monitor and despite writing down the colors and slots I managed to transpose two wires (to my defense, the wiring colors were black, red, white, green, red, black - and when inserted backwards it seems OK but transposes the two centre wires) which then showed my main bank as 12V and auxiliary bank as 24V which wasn't what I wanted.
The downside to having disconnected the battery monitor is that it required a full synchronization in order to work correctly, and I usually run the generator about an hour to get to over 90% charge that isn't sufficient and I would need to run the generator a good 3 hours or perhaps a bit more in order to get to 100% full charge on the bank and achieve synchronization. I proceeded to run the generator and did laundry, heated water, charged whatever electronic devices I could think and basically used as much power as possible so that the poor generator wouldn't be running under almost no load for hours on end; the only task I didn't want to do was run the watermaker, as the waters in Falmouth Harbour are not particularly cleanly with many mega yachts and big yacht constantly running their generators. Fuel in the intake water can permanently damage the watermaker membrane.
Because I had to run the generator and had started rather late, I missed the happy hour at the Mad Mongoose and decided to remain aboard and make some corn-on-the-cob and BBQ'd hot-dogs with the remaining hot-dog buns. The dinner was tasty (I was hungry by this time) and with the cockpit LED light brightly lit I read a bit more in my book. After dinner I watched an episode of “The Thin Blue Line” on with Rowan Atkinson on the notebook and then returned to the cockpit, this time with LEDs turned off, and gazed at the stars in the cloudless and almost moonless night.

The Woodstock in Antigua The Woodstock did the drilling and cutting work for the new instrument panel since my electric Dremel tools weren't up to the job.
[17°1'5.45"N 61°46'3.91"W (facing E)]
The Woodstock in Antigua
My office desk My office desk while in Antigua. The Mad Mongoose bar and restaurant offers free WiFi plus power cords to any and all, even while they are closed.
[17°0'43.15"N 61°46'8.39"W (facing E)]
My office desk
The Mad Mongoose The sign outside of the Mad Mongoose in Falmouth Harbour, Antigua hasn't changed in years, I'm surprised it is smashed or otherwise defaced.
[17°0'43.28"N 61°46'8.27"W (facing NE)]
The Mad Mongoose
Sleek lines indeed This yacht anchored next to Zanshin in the late afternoon and looks incredibly sleek without mast or rigging. The boat is so shiny that it must be a new one rather than a dismasted raceboat.
[17°0'45.96"N 61°46'37.67"W (facing NW)]
Sleek lines indeed
Newly arranged instrument panel The old panel had the 2 NASA displays on the far right, and they then blocked the adjacent panel to the right from swinging open. This new arrangement now allows for the opening.
(2013-03-14 15:54:56 NIKON D7000 with a "18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6" lens. [f/3.8, 1/30s] ISO 400 Focus 0.71m)
Newly arranged instrument panel
Wiring the instrument panel The backside of the new panel with wire-tied cables for strain relief. The Xantrex mounts from the front, so all those cables had to taken off and put back on. Of course I got 2 wires mixed up in the process, but a bit of sleuthing and reading the wiring diagram for the device led me to fix the problem (the green and white were interchanged and they are used for the primary and auxiliary voltage displays)
(2013-03-14 15:48:35 NIKON D7000 with a "18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6" lens. [f/3.8, 1/80s] ISO 640 Focus 0.60m)
Wiring the instrument panel
   
339 views since 2017-02-06, page last modified on 2017-02-04.